The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan organization, promotes political responsibility through informed and active participation of citizens in government, and takes action on selected governmental issues. The League does not support or oppose any political party or candidate.
This handbook details LWVJoCo positions covering three major areas: Government, Natural Resources, and Social Policy. The League arrives at a position after months-long careful study; then the board and members agree to adopt the new position. Positions may be used to advocate for change.LWVJoCo Position Handbook (revised 2016)
Our most recent positions included a study of the Johnson County Courthouse, with a recommendation that a new courthouse is needed (2015). A study regarding our positions on education was completed and approved in 2016. Both these positions are outlined in the revised Position Handbook.
Through its voter service activities, the League provides nonpartisan information on the structure and functions of government and the political parties and on voting procedures, election issues, and candidates.
PRINCIPLES The League of Women Voters believes in the following:
- in representative government and in the individual liberties established in the Constitution of the United States.
- that democratic government depends upon the informed and active participation of its citizens and requires that governmental bodies protect the citizen’s right to know by giving adequate notice of proposed actions, holding open meetings, and making public records.
- that every citizen should be protected in the right to vote; that every person should have access to free public education that provides equal opportunity for all; and that no person or group should suffer legal, economic or administrative discrimination.
- that efficient and economical government requires competent personnel, the clear assignment of responsibility, adequate financing and coordination among the different agencies and levels of government.
- responsible government should be responsive to the will of the people; that government should maintain an equitable and flexible system of taxation, promote the conservation and development of natural resources in the public interest, share in the solution of economic and social problems that affect the general welfare, promote a sound economy and adopt domestic policies that facilitate the solution of international problems.
- cooperation with other nations is essential in the search of solutions to world problems and that the development of international organization and international law is imperative in the promotion of world peace.
See state and national positions:
Topics: Legislative Action, Representative Government, International Relations, Natural Resources, and Social Policy
NON-PARTISANSHIP POLICY (Reviewed and adopted 11/93)
In accordance with the by-laws of the League of Women Voters of the United States, the LWVJoCo “shall not support or oppose any political party or any candidate.” In the event a local board member anticipates political activity, it shall be reviewed and acted upon by the local board on the basis of the policy guidelines set forth in the publication “In League.” Certain sensitive off-board positions may be similarly affected by political activity. Non-board members of the LWVJoCo, as private individuals, are encouraged to participate fully in the political activities of their choice.