Our members have worked hard this year!
It’s time to have a little fun. Enjoy great food and conversation while we honor members who have gone “Above & Beyond” this year to empower voters. We’ll also pay tribute to our Lifetime Members, those who have been Leaguers for at least 50 years.
Saturday, December 1
2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Central Resource Library
9875 W. 87th St., Overland Park
Add this to your calendar now.
Members: Please bring an appetizer or dessert to share.
As we head into 2019, we know lots of groups are setting up their events for the coming year. We wanted to make sure you knew that LWVJoCo offers interesting and nonpartisan presentations to community groups and gatherings on a wide range of timely topics.
We can adapt our presentations to meet your group’s needs, from a short 20-minute overview to a longer presentation and discussion. No fees are required for our knowledgeable volunteer speakers to speak to your group. Here are a few presentations we offer:
Making democracy work
- LWV: What we stand for and positions we champion
- Be an informed voter: Knowing where to look for valid information
- Make your voice heard: Discovering your style as an advocate
- Electoral college
Keeping our communities healthy
- Supporting America’s Clean Power Plan
- Stormwater management: How you can reduce flooding
- Is fracking a risk to Johnson County?
- Medicare for all: Exploring the data driving the discussionT
To learn more about these presentations and how to schedule one for your organization, contact Candy Birch, chair, LWVJoCo Speakers Bureau, at email@example.com
Who We Are
LWVJoCo serves Johnson County, Kansas, a part of the greater Kansas City metro area. We are a community-based organization focused on engaging citizens in the voting process. The League does not endorse or oppose candidates or political parties.
We believe hands-on work safeguards democracy, which leads to civic improvement. Members gain knowledge and experience, discover new interests through the study and discussion of timely and important issues and topics. Through participation in League activities, members contribute valuable services to the community.
Another New and Exciting League Year for LWVJoCo
Take a look at what’s in store for our 2018-2019 League year. Our ‘go-getter’ officers and committee chairs have put a great plan together. See what’s involved with organizing a new League year on our new webpage about our recent Preview Party.
What does the League do?
- We educate citizens about issues, legislation and candidates.
- We encourage individual participation in the political process.
- We inform through in-depth, objective study.
- We monitor local, state and national government bodies and activities.
- We register voters.
- We sponsor candidate forums and public issue forums.
Join us to Make Democracy Work!
You can make a difference! Join LWVJoCo and start making a difference in our community. League membership is open to all women and men from age 16.