We want to hear from you!
2019 will be a breakout year for LWVJoCo. We must move to the next level, getting ready for the hugely important 2020 national elections.
Please plan to attend our January 5 meeting to help shape our LWVJoCo strategy for the next 20 months. Everything is open for discussion, including voter support, member activism, diversity, advocacy at city hall and candidate events. We need your input to make LWVJoCo even stronger!
Saturday, January 5
9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.
Atonement Lutheran Church
9948 Metcalf Ave, Overland Park
Holiday Party Recap: Above and Beyond
Nearly 100 LWVJoCo members and supporters gathered on December 1 to celebrate our accomplishments this past year. Our successful efforts included registering over 1,500 people at 140 voter registration events. Plus we hosted three candidate forums and six informative monthly programs.
At the party, we honored our 11 Lifetime Members: Jan Durrett, Jane Hess, Jean Hiersteiner, Eleanor Lowe, Joan Olsen, Leonore Rowe, Carol Sader, Carol Snyder, Marian Wade, Nan Wilson and Karin Winn. These women have spent decades going above and beyond during their 50+ years as Leaguers.
- View our Lifetime Member tribute on YouTube
- View party photos on Facebook
- Read Lifetime Members’ profiles
Need a speaker for your next meeting, workshop or event?
We can adapt our presentations to meet your group’s needs, from a short 20-minute overview to a longer presentation and discussion. No fees are required for our knowledgeable volunteer speakers to speak to your group. Here are a few presentations we offer:
Making democracy work
- LWV: What we stand for and positions we champion
- Be an informed voter: Knowing where to look for valid information
- Make your voice heard: Discovering your style as an advocate
- Electoral college
- Media integrity
Keeping our communities healthy
- Supporting America’s Clean Power Plan
- Stormwater management: How you can reduce flooding
- Is fracking a risk to Johnson County?
- Medicare for all: Exploring the data driving the discussionT
To learn more about these presentations and how to schedule one for your organization, contact Candy Birch, chair, LWVJoCo Speakers Bureau, at email@example.com
Who We Are
LWVJoCo serves Johnson County, Kansas, a part of the greater Kansas City metro area. We are a community-based organization focused on engaging citizens in the voting process. The League does not endorse or oppose candidates or political parties.
We believe hands-on work safeguards democracy, which leads to civic improvement. Members gain knowledge and experience, discover new interests through the study and discussion of timely and important issues and topics. Through participation in League activities, members contribute valuable services to the community.
What does the League do?
- We educate citizens about issues, legislation and candidates.
- We encourage individual participation in the political process.
- We inform through in-depth, objective study.
- We monitor local, state and national government bodies and activities.
- We register voters.
- We sponsor candidate forums and public issue forums.
Join us to Make Democracy Work!
You can make a difference! Join LWVJoCo and start making a difference in our community. League membership is open to all women and men from age 16.